Cassoulet is a rich, slow-cooked casserole originating in the south of France, containing meat, pork and white beans.
60g smoked bacon lardons
1 x large white onion, thinly sliced
1 x garlic clove, thinly sliced
4 traditional farm house or Cumberland sausages
600g chopped tinned tomatoes
250g cannellini beans
1 spring of thyme
Handful of chopped parsley
1. Cook the bacon lardons in a shallow casserole dish until crispy.
2. Then add the sliced onion and slowly cook down without colour.
3. After 5 minutes add the garlic.
4. While the onions and garlic are cooking, grill the sausages just to add colour and then add to the casserole dish along with the tinned tomatoes, cannellini beans and thyme.
5. Place a lid on the casserole dish and cook in the oven at 180oC for 15-20 minutes.
6. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs for the last 10 minutes of cooking and allow to go crispy.
Finish with chopped parsley and serve.