150g caster sugar
150g unsalted butter at room temperature
225g plain flour
15g baking powder
5g ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
160g candied stem ginger
100g golden syrup or syrup from stem ginger jar
8 dariole moulds
Rodda’s clotted cream
Ingredients for butterscotch sauce
3 knobs stem ginger, finely chopped
100g dark muscovado sugar
100g light muscovado sugar
120g golden syrup
3tbsp syrup from a jar of stem ginger
150ml (¼pt) double cream
– Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
– Cream together the sugar and butter and add the eggs.
– Sift the plain flour, baking powder, ground ginger and mixed spice together in a bowl.
– Add to the sugar, butter and eggs, and combine.
– Finely chop the stem ginger.
– Butter and sugar the pudding moulds and evenly add the chopped stem ginger and syrup to each mould.
– Pipe the sponge mixture into each mould until about half full. Tightly cover each pudding mould with tin foil.
– Bake in a bain-marie covered with more tin foil a gently steam for up to 1 hour. You may need to top the water up throughout cooking.
Method for butterscotch sauce
– Add all the ingredients except the cream to a saucepan and heat until all of the sugar has dissolved, stirring occasionally.
– Add the cream and keep warm.
-Serve with a dollop of clotted cream and generously drizzle the butterscotch sauce over the pudding.
Find our other recipes here.