Grilled vegetable salad with halloumi cheese and a refreshing sumac yoghurt dressing. A great vegetarian option from The Living Space menu.
½ butternut squash
1 large aubergine
2 red onions cut into wedges
2 red peppers
2 packs halloumi cheese
1 Jar Sweet Guindilla peppers
Sumac Dressing Ingredients
100g Greek yoghurt
1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
2 tbsp fresh mint, shredded
1½ tsp dried mint
1½ tsp lemon juice
1 ½ tsp caster sugar
Salt and black pepper
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Sumac
4 tbsp olive oil
1. Cut and roast the vegetables or grill on a char grill. Dress with olive oil and season. Combine all the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl.
2. Wipe a pan with oil and heat, gently colour the halloumi cheese.
3. Dress the vegetables with Sumac dressing and top with grilled halloumi and a couple of pickled sweet Guindilla chilli’s. Delicious!
4. Sumac is a tangy, lemony spice often used in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cooking. Try using it in salads instead of lemon juice or to season grilled meat and fish. It’s also delicious sprinkled over hummus.
5. Guindilla peppers are Spanish chillies. They are medium hot with a sweet flavour and are sold green (pickled) and red (dried). They are long and narrow with a slight curve.
6. Halloumi is a Cypriot semi-hard, unripened brined cheese made from a mixture of goat’s and sheep’s milk, and sometimes also cow’s milk. It has a high melting point and so can easily be fried or grilled.