Packed with good-for-you fats, the Middle Eastern dip known as houmous has fast become a favorite go-to for a quick, healthy snack in many western countries. And it’s relatively easy to make. Here, The Living Space shares its recipe.
Serves four as a snack
400g can chickpeas, washed and drained
Juice ½ lemon
2 garlic cloves
4 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp tahini paste
Salt to taste
½ tsp ground cumin
Blitz everything together in a blender on a pulse setting. If you prefer your houmous a little chunky, keep a handful of chickpeas behind and add to the blended mix. Loosen with a little water if too thick.
Five ways with houmous!
– Spread in sandwiches. Toasted focaccia with grilled Mediterranean vegetables is always delicious
– Try a dollop in our grilled halloumi burger
– Use as a dip for flatbreads or crudities such as carrot and red pepper sticks
– Finish off posh homemade kebabs like lamb or falafel with a helping of houmous
– Experiment with different flavours, from avocado houmous to beetroot, coriander, pesto, red pepper…