50g shallots (peeled and sliced)
200ml of dry cider
100ml of apple juice
200ml of fish or chicken stock
I find chicken stock works well with fish as it is light in flavour and doesn’t overpower the fish
200g of Rodda’s clotted cream
Salt and pepper
Flour for dusting
4 darnes of hake 3cm thick (steak cut across the bone)
100ml vegetable oil
100g unsalted butter
400g of washed spinach
100g chives (finely cut)
1. To make the sauce place the shallots, cider, apple juice and stock into a pan and reduce down by 2/3rds before adding the cream and bringing back to a boil. Remove from the heat when it coats the back of a spoon.
2. Season with a little salt as required.
L3. ightly flour and season the Hake and place into a medium hot non stick frying pan with the vegetable oil and cook for 3 minutes before turning with a wide spatula.
4. Cook for a further 3 minutes before adding 50g of butter and basting the fish for a further 30 seconds.
5. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
6. Wipe the pan clean and place back on the heat and add the remaining 50g of butter. When the butter is sizzling and melted add the spinach, season with salt and pepper and stir until wilted.
7. Remove from the pan and drain in a colander.
8. Place the spinach in the middle of each plate and top with the hake.
9. Re-heat the sauce and add the chopped chives before pouring over the hake and serving.