- 12 scallops, shelled, cleaned and roe removed
- 1kg monkfish tail
- 200g peas podded and cooked
- 200g cooked black eyed beans
- 200g broad beans skinned cooked
- 200g cooked haricot blanc beans
- 200g cooked sweetcorn
- 1 litre shellfish stock or chicken
- 10g chives
- 3g tarragon
- 10g flat leaf parsley
- 500g kale/ spinach, picked, blanched in boiling water and refreshed in ice water
- 10g picked samphire tips
- 4 plum tomato peeled and de-seeded
- Salt and sweet paprika 50/50
- Olive oil
1. Prepare the monkfish tail by removing the membrane and the bone.
2. Cut the monkfish fillets into medallions a similar size to the scallops.
3. Place the peas, beans and sweetcorn into a saucepan. Add the stock and bring to a simmer.
4. Chop the chives, tarragon and parsley and add to the stock.
5. Check for seasoning and remove from the heat to infuse.
6. Add the cooked kale, picked samphire and tomato.
7. Season one side of the scallops and monkfish medallions with the sweet paprika and salt and pan fry that side in a preheated skillet with a little oil.
8. When golden place into the stock and back onto the heat to finish cooking.
Hints and tips
The word succotash comes from a native language spoken by North East, American Indians meaning crushed corn.
The dish has been adapted down the ages to include many different ingredients especially from the legume family (peas, beans, lentils, etc) which add colour and flavour.
It can be served on its own in a more traditional manner or used as a base for meat or fish.
Neil first came across it on his travels through the USA at a restaurant called Husk in Charleston, South Carolina where it was used to complement grilled flatiron steak using chicken stock as a base to bring together the many varieties of peas, beans and corn.
I like to prep the monkfish and scallops the day before this allows them to dry a little which in turn lets them firm up and gives a more golden colour when pan-frying.
Discover more recipes
Emily Scott's sausage roll recipe, with apricots and honey
Caraway seeded sausage roll recipe straight from Emily Scott's brand new cookbook, Time & Tide.
Helford blue, spring onion & thyme tart recipe
Straight out of Emily Scott's new cookbook get the recipe for this salad onion, leek...
The Living Space Spring cocktails
Bring Watergate flavours to your home bar, with our three spring cocktail recipes.
Smoky Jollof recipe
Lerato Umah-Shaylor shares her Smoky Jollof recipe straight from her new cook book, Africana.
Chana Masala recipe
Straight from The Beach Hut kitchen comes our Chana Masala recipe, serve with fresh bread,...