At the right time of year, you’ll find the rocky reefs surrounding Cornwall teeming with spider crab. Plenty of white meat which is sweeter and meatier makes this spider crab dish a firm favorite in Zacry’s.
Spider crab poke is a seasonal dish on the Zacry’s menu. Originally a Hawaiian dish of raw tuna, chef has adapted it to a Cornish dish of spider crab which can be found off Watergate Bay. Here’s the recipe.
Serves four to six people
600g sushi rice
100ml rice wine vinegar
50g castor sugar
Crab and vegetable
Spicy mayo (mayonnaise, sriracha hot sauce, sesame oil and a few drops of fish sauce, mixed to taste)
340g of picked white spider crab meat
120g edamame beans
2 avocados peeled and sliced
Mouli – peeled and cut into matchsticks
Carrot – peeled and cut into matchsticks
Sugar snaps – sliced length ways
Cucumber – peeled and diced
Spring onions – sliced on an angle
Coriander – washed and picked
Sesame seeds – toasted
Japanese 7 spice
1. Wash the rice until the water runs clear, then drain.
2. Add the rice to a pan and cover with the water. Bring to a boil, then cover with a lid. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 12 minutes. 3. Remove from the heat leaving the lid on for a further 12 minutes
4. Heat the vinegar, add and dissolve the sugar and salt.
5. With a wooden spoon fold the rice adding the vinegar mix a little at a time
6. Allow the rice to cool but do not refrigerate it.
Divide the rice between the four bowls and arrange all the ingredients on top of the rice and finish with the spicy mayo, toasted sesame seeds and seven spice.