175g unsalted butter
175g castor sugar
3 medium eggs
175g ground almonds
12 disks of puff pastry the size of a side plate (16cm)
15 apples peeled and cored
200g melted butter
500g castor sugar
For the frangipane
Beat the butter and sugar until smooth and light in colour, add the eggs one by one until incorporated, then add the ground almonds and calvados.
To make the tartes
1. Place the puff pastry disks on to a non-stick baking sheet and place a dessert spoon full of the frangipane in the middle of each disc. Using a wet palate knife or the back of a spoon, smooth out the frangipane leaving a 1cm border around the outside. Don’t be too fussy as it will be covered with the apples.
2. Thinly slice the apples into disks approximately 2/3mm thick so they look like flat doughnuts with a hole in the middle. This is best done with a mandolin for consistency.
3. Lay the apples on to the frangipane overlapping slightly to make a circle leaving a 1cm border.
4. Brush the apples with the melted butter and place the tartes into the fridge until ready to cook.
5. Pre heat the oven to 180oC.
6. Dust the tartes liberally with castor sugar and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
7. Serve with your favourite topping of clotted cream or crème fraiche, but ice-cream is also very good.