Often seen on the specials board in The Beach Hut, our Thai red curry has been a hit with many of our regular guests.
We were recently asked if we could share the recipe so that the guest can make it at home themselves. Hopefully, this won’t stop them coming back.
For the paste:
To make the curry:
1. Blitz all of the above ingredients for the paste, or use a good-sized pestle and mortar.
2. In a saucepan add a little vegetable oil and add the paste. Fry for a couple of minutes until fragrant before adding, a couple of tablespoons of palm sugar.
3. Continue stirring until melted and then add a couple of tins of coconut milk. Add a couple more lime leaves and a bashed stem of lemongrass bring to a simmer and cook out for five minutes.
4. Balance the sauce with fish sauce and lime juice.
5. Add fish, meat or vegetables and cook until tender.
6. Serve with Thai sticky rice.
*Galangal is a rhizomatous plant, similar to ginger. It has a sharp citrusy, almost piney flavour.