This is a classic comfort food recipe from The Kernow Sausage Company. It takes very little time to prepare but is a real crowd pleaser. Using the best sausages in the county and a fool proof yorkshire pudding mix you are guaranteed a delicious winter warmer. We suggest serving with garlic roasted potatoes and an onion gravy with seasonal vegetables – completing a dish that will warm your heart as much as your belly on a cold night.
Recipe from Gavin Roberts of The Kernow Sausage Company.
8 Trelawney Traditional Pork Sausages
1 tablespoon of good quality oil
225g (8 oz) plain flour
4 free range eggs
125ml (4 fl oz) Cornish milk
Zest of half a lemon
Small bunch of fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees or gas mark 6.
2. While your oven is heating add the tablespoon of oil to a frying pan and get some colour on your sausages over a light heat.
3. Take off the heat after a few minutes – the sausages will cook in the batter in the oven later on.
4. Line the base of your baking dish with oil or butter and arrange the sausages to fill a single layer.
5. Scatter your sprigs of fresh thyme between the sausages.
6. Mix together the flour, eggs and milk until left with a smooth batter. At this point add the lemon zest, salt and pepper.
7. Take the batter and pour over the sausages.
8. Bake in the oven for around 35 minutes to 45 minutes depending on your oven. Your toad in the hole will be ready to eat when the centre is golden and risen.