Thank you to everyone who voted for their favourite Water’cake’ bake on Facebook. Lisa’s Rainbow Victoria Sponge receive the most likes online and was crowned the Facebook winner. Lisa, who works in The Living Space, beat 20 other Watergate Bay cakes which raised £200 for Comic Relief.
So here’s Lisa recipe so you can also get baking for Comic Relief. Basically, it is a classic victoria sponge decorated with butter cream and smarties, sounds delicious.
200g caster sugar
200g softened cooking margarine
4 eggs, beaten
200g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
600g butter, softened
420g icing sugar
340g good quality strawberry jam
4 tubes of smarties
Icing sugar to decorate
1. Start off by creaming together the sugar and margarine together.
2. Add the eggs, flour, baking powder and milk and mix until light and fluffy.
3. Set the oven to 170oC (fan). Divide the mixture into two 20 cm cake tins, level with a spatula and bake for 20 minutes until golden and the top springs back when pressed. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
4. To make the filling beat the butter until smooth and then gradually add the icing sugar.
5. Spread a third of the butter cream over one half of the sponge, top with jam and sandwich the second sponge on top. Use the remaining cake to cover the sides and top of the cake and decorate with smarties.
Mary Berry’s top tip: Use baking margarine instead of butter to give a light and fluffy cake.