Built in 1900, Watergate Bay Hotel was originally intended to serve as a railway terminus hotel for a proposed Newquay to Padstow branch line, but the railway never came. During the Second World War, it became an RAF Officers Mess and was later converted into married quarters, but fell into disrepair during the 1960s.
John and Mary Ashworth bought the Watergate Bay Hotel in 1967, initially running it as self-catering flats. The Ashworths converted the premises back to a 55 bedroom hotel in 1971, adding an extension to include a living area and restaurant. It was successfully run as a seasonal family hotel for the traditional bucket-and-spade holiday for many years.
Also in the 1970s one of the UK’s first skate parks opened at Watergate Bay. The concrete bowl was popular among skateboarders of the era including Nigel Semmens.