Beets, black garlic, orange and hazelnut salad recipe
Summer beetroots, punchy garlic houmous, mixed leaves with candied orange and a sherry vinegar dressing, scattered with toasted hazelnuts. Find this dish on The Beach Hut menu, or follow the recipe below and make at home.
- 400g can chickpeas, washed and drained
- 6 black garlic cloves - made into a paste by using the side of a chopping knife
- 50ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp tahini paste
- Salt to taste
- Place the drained chickpeas into a blender, add the black garlic paste and tahini.
- Pulse until you have a smooth puree, add the olive oil and then water a bit at a time, until you have a thick creamy houmous. Check for seasoning.
Candied Orange Ingredients
- 4 small oranges (blood orange if available)
- 100ml water
- 100g castor sugar
Candied Orange Method
- Peel the oranges with a peel and cut the zest into fine strips. Place into a small saucepan with the sugar and water. Place onto the heat and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until the liquid has reduced to a thick syrup. Remove from the heat. Cutaway the remaining pith from the oranges and slice the oranges into four crossways.
- 1kg mixed heritage beets - washed and dried
- 50ml sunflower oil
- 25g thyme sprigs
- 250g mixed leaves
- 50ml olive oil
- 10ml sherry vinegar
- 50g of roasted hazelnuts
- Sea salt
- Place the beets into a bowl and toss in the sunflower oil and season, with salt and thyme sprigs.
- Place them into a roasting dish and cover with foil. Bake in preheated oven (180°C) for 20 minutes before checking by piercing with a small knife.
- Return to the oven for a further 20 minutes and check again. Repeat until the beets are tender and the knife easily pierces the flesh all the way through (up to an hour).
- When cooked, allow to cool for 20 minutes before peeling and rubbing away the outer skin.
Cut the beets into wedges and dress with olive oil, sherry vinegar and sea salt.
Divide the houmous over 4 plates and smear the base.
Arrange the beets and orange over the houmous and scatter with the mixed leaves.
Finish with the candied orange, zest and toasted hazelnuts.
Discover our restaurants
Here to dine, or barefoot from the beach? Choose from three different eating and drinking spots.
Fusing international influence with local produce, a three-course menu showcasing the best of the season.
The Living Space
Sofa, armchair, banquette or ocean-view terrace? Antipasti plates, seasonal salad or hearty fillers?
The Beach Hut
Laid-back, breezy and modern, the Beach Hut blends considered food and a warm welcome.
Discover more recipes
Emily Scott's sausage roll recipe, with apricots and honey
Caraway seeded sausage roll recipe straight from Emily Scott's brand new cookbook, Time & Tide.
Helford blue, spring onion & thyme tart recipe
Straight out of Emily Scott's new cookbook get the recipe for this salad onion, leek...
The Living Space Spring cocktails
Bring Watergate flavours to your home bar, with our three spring cocktail recipes.
Smoky Jollof recipe
Lerato Umah-Shaylor shares her Smoky Jollof recipe straight from her new cook book, Africana.
Chana Masala recipe
Straight from The Beach Hut kitchen comes our Chana Masala recipe, serve with fresh bread,...