FOR THE SHORTCRUST PASTRY
- 250 g (9 oz/2 cups) plain (all-purpose) flour, plus extra for dusting
- 100 g (3½ oz) unsalted butter
- a pinch of Cornish sea salt
- 2 medium free-range egg yolks
- 2–3 tablespoons milk
FOR THE FILLING
- 50 g (2 oz) unsalted butter
- 225 g (8 oz) leeks, trimmed, washed and sliced (discard any tough outer layers)
- 4 spring onions (scallions), trimmed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 100 g (3½ oz/generous ⅓ cup) crème fraîche
- 100 ml (3½ fl oz/scant ½ cup) double (heavy) cream
- 2 medium free-range eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
- 150 g (5 oz) Helford blue cheese (or similar)
- Cornish sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
To make the pastry, combine the flour, butter, sea salt and egg yolks in a food processor and pulse.
Once combined, let it down with a little milk until it all comes together as a dough. Cover with cling film (plastic wrap) and leave it to rest in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry to 1 cm (½ in) thick and use it to line a 22 cm (9 in) fluted loose-bottomed tart tin (pan). Chill for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan/400°F/Gas 6). Blind bake the pastry case for 20–25 minutes, then trim off any excess pastry.
For the filling, melt the butter in a frying pan (skillet) over a medium heat, add the leeks, spring onions and thyme, and gently cook for 8–10 minutes until softened.
Whisk the crème fraîche, cream, eggs and egg yolk together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
Arrange the leek and spring onion mixture over the base of the tart, crumble the Helford blue on top, then pour over the cream mixture.
Bake the tart for 25–30 minutes until golden and firm in the centre. Leave to rest for 10 minutes before slicing and serve with extra thyme leaves on top.
Time & Tide
Recipes and Stories from My Coastal Kitchen by Emily Scott.
Weaving tales and recipes together from Emily's Cornish home, read the story behind this recipe and more.
Good Food, Well Earned
We speak to three nutrition and exercise experts to find out the relationship between getting...
Emily Scott meringue roulade
Straight from Saturday Kitchen with Matt Tebbutt, you can now make Emily Scott’s meringue roulade,...
Meet Emily Scott
Watch the film and read the interview, Emily Scott introduces her new six-course set seafood...
A new home for Emily Scott
Following the success of her 2020 summer pop-up, chef Emily Scott opened a restaurant overlooking...