- 2-3 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped, or blended)
- 1 large onion (finely cut (fennel, celery and leeks work too)
- 1-2 chillies if you like heat!
- 250g mushrooms (chopped)
- 2-3 garlic cloves, grated
- Splash of red wine (optional)
- Dried mint (optional)
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp Bosh flavoured nutritional yeast (optional)
- 2 x 300g chopped tinned tomatoes
- 250g black beans
- 400g pasta (we use garganelli)
1. Add a good pouring of olive oil to a high sided pan and heat until hot.
2. Once the oil is hot, add carrots and onion and cook/sweat down on medium heat for ten minutes.
3. Add grated garlic and mushrooms and continue to cook on medium heat until mushrooms are soft.
4. Add bay leaves, oregano, smoked paprika and nutritional yeast, red wine and mint (optional), and stir together.
5. Add chopped tomatoes and black beans and mix well.
6. Lower the heat and continue to cook (no less than 15 minutes), stirring occasionally.
7. In a separate pan, boil salted water, add pasta and cook until soft (8 minutes approx)
8. Once pasta is cooked, strain pasta and mix through with the chilli.
9. Remove bay leaves, check consistency and seasoning, and add a cup of additional pasta water if required.
10. Finish with olive oil and parmesan.
If tomatoes and sauce look watery, add a teaspoon of tomato puree. If you have an old loaf of bread, tear it up and add to the sauce to thicken it. If you have peppers, kale or leftover vegetables add them, this recipe is totally adaptable.
Leave the chilli overnight for a more robust flavour.
It can be stored in the fridge for up to three days.
Any leftover? Turn it into a pasta bake.
Discover more recipes
Emily Scott's sausage roll recipe, with apricots and honey
Caraway seeded sausage roll recipe straight from Emily Scott's brand new cookbook, Time & Tide.
Helford blue, spring onion & thyme tart recipe
Straight out of Emily Scott's new cookbook get the recipe for this salad onion, leek...
The Living Space Spring cocktails
Bring Watergate flavours to your home bar, with our three spring cocktail recipes.
Smoky Jollof recipe
Lerato Umah-Shaylor shares her Smoky Jollof recipe straight from her new cook book, Africana.
Chana Masala recipe
Straight from The Beach Hut kitchen comes our Chana Masala recipe, serve with fresh bread,...