- 350g basmati rice
- 600ml vegan vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 green finger chillies, very finely sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 250g asparagus, woody ends discarded, cut into 4cm pieces
- 200g mixed frozen petit pois and broad beans, defrosted
- 1½ tsp ground cumin 1½ tsp garam masala
- ¾ tsp salt
- a big handful of fresh mint leaves
- a big handful of fresh dill
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
1. Wash the rice in a few changes of cold water until it runs clear, then leave to soak in cold water for 20 minutes.
2. Drain the rice, put it into a large lidded saucepan and pour over the stock. Bring to the boil, cover the pan, turn the heat down to a whisper and leave to cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
3. Take off the heat and leave the rice, still covered, to steam through until needed.
4. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, lidded pan on a medium flame. Once hot, add the onions and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, until translucent and softening but not yet coloured.
5. Add the garlic and chillies, cook for another 2 minutes, then stir in the fennel and a couple of tablespoons of water, and cover the pan.
6. Leave to cook for 8 minutes, until soft, then add the asparagus, peas, broad beans, cumin, garam masala and salt. Stir, cover again, cook for 3 to 5 minutes more, then take off the heat.
7. Finely chop the herbs and fold them and the rice into the vegetable mixture – you might need to break up any clumps of rice delicately with your hands – then transfer to a serving dish and serve with wedges of lemon on the side.
Twelve Trees of Christmas
This December, we're telling twelve inspiring sustainability tales across twelve trees here at Watergate Bay....
Musician in residence: Joe Kirby
Our first musician in residence kicks off between 16 - 19 November. We caught up...
Round-up: Arts on the Beach
Children bounced to the beat, air-borne dancers soared and towering puppets stopped revellers in their...
Things to do in Cornwall
A selection of our favourite places to visit and events in Cornwall. Gardens, power boat...
Adrift: Lego Lost at Sea
Explore the tiny, colourful and downright odd finds washing up on our shores at the...