- 2 star anise
- 1/4 cinnamon stick
- 1 head of garlic (separated into cloves)
- 8 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 dried bay leaves (crumbled)
- 150g coarse sea salt
- 4 duck legs
- 700g duck or goose fat
1. Pulse the star anise, cinnamon stick, garlic, thyme and bay leaves in a food processor and blend with the sea salt. Rub into the duck legs with the sea salt and leave for 6 hours or overnight. Wash off the sea salt, pat dry and pack tightly into dish, skin side down.
2. Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F/Gas 2) and warm the duck fat in a heavy ovenproof casserole dish. Add the duck, making sure that the legs are completely submerged in the melted fat.
3. Bake covered for 3½-4 hours, or until the meat is very tender when pierced with a skewer and the fat in the skin is completely rendered.
4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool uncovered. Place the duck legs in a clean dish large enough for them not to touch the sides, strain the fat and pour over the duck legs. Leave to cool and then set in the fridge.
5. Place into the fridge for 1-2 hours to set. (This can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 weeks).
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 red chilli, chopped finely
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- A handful of flat leaf parsley
- 2 ripe tomatoes, chopped roughly
- 1 tin of butter beans, drained
- Chorizo (as much as you want)
- 400g bag of spinach
1. Scrape off the fat from the duck legs and place into a roasting tray with the onion wedges. Preheat the oven to 200°C (390°F/Gas 6) and roast in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the skin is crisp and golden-brown.
2. Slice the chorizo and fry in a preheated pan until brown. Add the chilli and garlic and fry for another minute.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and leave to simmer for 5-10 minutes, then add butterbeans followed by spinach.
4. When the duck legs are cooked take out of the oven and dry on a paper towel to drain any fat. Toss the roasted onions through the stew, finish with parsley and season to taste.
Or come to the Living Space and try it hassle free, its on the menu every day!
Discover more recipes
Emily Scott's sausage roll recipe, with apricots and honey
Caraway seeded sausage roll recipe straight from Emily Scott's brand new cookbook, Time & Tide.
Helford blue, spring onion & thyme tart recipe
Straight out of Emily Scott's new cookbook get the recipe for this salad onion, leek...
The Living Space Spring cocktails
Bring Watergate flavours to your home bar, with our three spring cocktail recipes.
Smoky Jollof recipe
Lerato Umah-Shaylor shares her Smoky Jollof recipe straight from her new cook book, Africana.
Chana Masala recipe
Straight from The Beach Hut kitchen comes our Chana Masala recipe, serve with fresh bread,...